The Town of Hill was granted as New Chester in 1754 and incorporated in 1778. In 1837 it was renamed to honor N H governor Isaac Hill. The Northern Railroad was built through town in 1848 promoting the growth of a village along the Pemigewasset river. In the 1940’s the Federal government took the floodplain area to use as a flood control reservoir so the people of Hill built a New Village on higher ground to the west near the present route 3A. The original "Center" of town is marked by a 1799 church and 1847 meeting house located up the hill west of the Village.

Also of interest is the Murray Hill area which in the late 1800’s became a summer home colony. The "Old Village" is assessable by dogsled, ski or snowmobile in winter, biking, horseback riding, canoeing, or walking in the warmer months from entrances off New Chester Road in the New Village, Old Town Road along Needle Shop Brook or from Profile Falls area off route 3A at the Bristol town line. NH dept of forests and lands manages the area for the Federal Government and opens it to vehicular traffic first weekend following Labor Day.

MeETING HOUSE

"1847 Town Hall"

Built by Enoch Osgood of Andover, NH and home of the

Hill Historical Society.

EVENTS

Upcoming events, meetings & programs presented by the Hill Historical Society.


Download Adobe .PDF Reader

To share & Preserve the History of the Town of Hill, NH!

A Bit of History:

                 From the beginning!

Become A Member!

MERCHANDISE

Enjoy browsing through our online store of books, gifts & quality products featuring the Town of Hill.

JOIN & SUPPORT

 A membership to the Society is a

celebration of Hill's past and an investment in its future.